Thomas Taggart & Sons celebrates its 125th birthday this year!
On 4th September 1893, Thomas Taggart opened his solicitor’s practice at High Street, Ballymoney and commenced what became a long and successful career in providing legal services to the local community.
Originally from the Bushmills area, Thomas Taggart had had a distinguished academic and sporting career. He was awarded an initial law degree and then a doctorate from Trinity College Dublin but also found time to play international rugby for Ireland. By 1921 he relocated his business to Church Street, having purchased the long-established practice of R C Martin and was later joined by his sons, Denis and Dermod. They were succeeded by Lewis Richards in 1983, originally from Kells, County Antrim, and the practice moved to its present purpose-built offices where he was later joined by his younger brother Stephen Richards, and later by Stephen Wilson, Carrie Stewart, Keith Dunn and Cheryl Lyons. The solicitors are supported by a large team of dedicated and hardworking support staff, some of whom have been with the firm for over 20 years.
Much has changed in the legal industry in the 125 years since the firm was established, particularly with the advance of technology, the many developments in our legal system and in society, and the pace at which business is carried on, to the extent that much of what goes on in legal practice these days would be unrecognisable to Thomas Taggart himself. But amid all the changes the core values of Thomas Taggart and Sons have remained constant: taking time to listen to our clients, putting their needs first, and working for them conscientiously.